301 Moved Permanently
Located in the flat, semi-arid north-western corner of Victoria, Wyperfeld is one of Australia's most fascinating national parks.
The central feature of this huge park is a chain of lake beds connected by Outlet Creek, the northern extension of the Wimmera River. The lakes only fill when the Wimmera River over-supplies Lake Hindmarsh to the south of Lake Albacutya. When it rains the semi-arid landscape is transformed by tiny desert plants that sprout from long-dormant seeds, carpeting the ground with clusters of flowers.
How to get there
Wyperfeld National Park is 450kms north‐west of Melbourne and may be reached:
- via the Western Highway at Dimboola through Rainbow to southern Wyperfeld
- via the Sunraysia Highway at Speed through Patchewollock to Pine Plains
- via Hopetoun on the Henty Highway
- via Underbool on the Mallee Highway.
A sealed road provides access from Rainbow or Hopetoun to Wonga Camping area in the south. Casuarina and Snowdrift camping areas in the north of the park are accessible from Patchewollock by two wheel drive. If coming from Underbool along Gunners Track or Wonga, four wheel drive is required.
Aboriginal Traditional Owners
Parks Victoria acknowledges the Aboriginal Traditional Owners of Victoria - including its parks and reserves. Through their cultural traditions, Aboriginal people maintain their connection to their ancestral lands and waters. Further information is available from Aboriginal Affairs Victoria AAV and Native Title Services Victoria
This camping area provides insights into the industrious Malleefowl, along with general natural and cultural history. There are also three…
Discovery Walk 2 hours, 4 km (return) Start at the Wonga Campground, eastern toilet block and follow the 'lifting the…
DriveEastern Lookout Nature Tour1 hourThe Eastern Lookout Nature Tour begins at the eastern side of the Wonga Campground. Look for…
The campground is set amid Pine-Buloke woodlands and vast open lake beds surrounded by Mallee sand dunes and a circular-walking…
The camping area is set beside a four wheel drive track and access is by four wheel drive only.AccessAssess is…
- Visitor centre
- Information Shelter
- Picnic Shelter
- Gravel carpark
- Sealed carpark
- Birds of the Mallee Parks (PDF 716.9 KB)
- Birds of the Mallee Parks (accessible version) (MS Word Document 1.2 MB)
- Mallee Parks Management Plan (PDF 9.9 MB)
Hattah-Kulkyne NP, Murray Sunset NP, Wyperfeld NP , Lake Albacutya Park, Murray-Kulkyne Regional Park
- Wyperfeld National Park - Eastern Lookout Nature Walk (PDF 369.1 KB)
- Wyperfeld National Park - Park note (PDF 5.0 MB)
- Wyperfeld National Park - Park note (accessible version) (MS Word Document 991.6 KB)
- Wyperfeld trip intention form (PDF 101.0 KB)