Visitors will not be able to camp in the Horseshoe or Ackle Bend campgrounds on Friday 20 October and Saturday 21 October 2017 as Traditional Owners are holding an event in the area. Alternative camping is available close by on the Wimmera River in the Wail State Forest or in Dimboola at the Caravan Park or half an hour away in the Kiata Campground in the Little Desert National Park.
At Horseshoe Bend Camping Area visitors may notice that Red Gums are currently experiencing dieback, this is caused by a native insect, known as a Psyllid. Find out more.
at Horseshoe Bend Campground
At Ackle Bend Camping Area visitors may notice that Red Gums are currently experiencing dieback, this is caused by a native insect, known as a Psyllid. Find out more.
at Ackle Bend Campground
Some roads in this park are subject to seasonal road closures. See Map 1: Little Desert NP (West) and Map 4: Little Desert National Park for locations of the closures.
at Little Desert National Park
The range of soil types in Little Desert National Park causes marked differences in vegetation. Many species of plants and animals have succeeded, on poor soils with little water, in creating a kind of arid landscape where survival depends on maintaining a delicate balance of natural forces.
The best time to visit the park is between late winter and early summer when the temperatures are comfortable and the park is full of blossoms and wildflowers. Camp beside the Wimmera River, and enjoy bushwalks, birdwatching or four-wheel driving.
How to get there
Little Desert National Park is 375kms from Melbourne, between the Wimmera River and the South Australian border (Melway Ref: 519 H9). A number of bitumen roads lead to the park from the Western Highway and a gravel road leads from Dimboola to the eastern section of the park. Most tracks within the park are very sandy and are suitable for four wheel drive vehicles only.
Aboriginal Traditional Owners
Parks Victoria acknowledges the Aboriginal Traditional Owners of Victoria - including its parks and reserves. Through their cultural traditions, Aboriginal people maintain their connection to their ancestral lands and waters. Further information is available from Aboriginal Affairs Victoria AAV and Native Title Services Victoria
Horseshoe Bend, Ackle Bend and Kiata campgrounds are popular locations for vehicle-based camping. These sites are accessible by two wheel…
The park has a number of marked, signposted walks, ranging from 30 minutes to three days duration. These are in…
This campground is surrounded by an impressive bend of the Wimmera River and provides great views, particularly at sunset.AccessHorseshoe Bend…
This campground is set in among yellow gum and blackbox woodland. Access Kiata Campground is located 10km south of the…
This campground provides great views, particularly at sunset. Walkers can follow a 1km track to the Wimmera River before returning…
- Information Shelter
- Picnic Shelter
- Gravel carpark
- Birds of the Mallee Parks (PDF 716.9 KB)
- Birds of the Mallee Parks (accessible version) (MS Word Document 1.2 MB)
- Little Desert Discovery Walk Track Notes (PDF 772.7 KB)
- Little Desert Discovery Walk Track Notes (accessible version) (MS Word Document 3.0 MB)
- Little Desert National Park (east) - Map (PDF 1.5 MB)
- LIttle Desert National Park (west) - Map (PDF 1.1 MB)
- Little Desert National Park - Keith Hateley Nature Walk (PDF 463.3 KB)
- Little Desert National Park - Stringybark and Loop Walks (PDF 489.6 KB)
- Little Desert National Park - Visitor Guide (PDF 1.1 MB)
- Little Desert National Park - Visitor Guide (accessible version - text only) (MS Word Document 5.7 MB)
- Little Desert National Park Management Plan (PDF 4.9 MB)
- Little Desert National Park Overnight Walking Trip Intention Form (PDF 251.1 KB)
- Little Desert National Park Overnight Walking Trip Intention Form (accessible version) (MS Word Document 318.9 KB)
- Little Desert NP - Keith Hateley Nature Walk (accessible version) (MS Word Document 745.5 KB)
- Little Desert NP Stringybark and Loop Walks (accessible version) (MS Word Document 803.0 KB)