Some roads in this park are subject to seasonal road closures. See Map 28: Bunyip State Park for locations of the closures.
at Bunyip State Park
In February 2009, 45 per cent of Bunyip State Park was burnt by wildfire. Despite this dramatic event this park is once again an amazing escape where you can breathe fresh air and enjoy native plants and animals.
See a mosiac of green from heathland on river plains to Mountain Ash forest covering steep slopes. Whatever recreational pursuit you enjoy, Bunyip State Park provides opportunities for all.
The legend of the bunyip
Beware of the Bunyip, a dark furry animal with a round face, small ears and fiery eyes that glow in the dark!
According to the Aboriginal people, the Bunyip or “Buneep” (as spelt on early maps which show the river, first cattle run and township) is a spirit that punishes bad people.
Local Aboriginal people believed the Bunyip lived in the swamps of the Bunyip River, and therefore avoided the area. Many early settlers, believing this story, never pitched their tents near a ‘Bunyip hole’. People were also careful not to make ripples when collecting water. This upset the Bunyip.
Aboriginal Traditional Owners
Parks Victoria acknowledges the Aboriginal Traditional Owners of Victoria - including its parks and reserves. Through their cultural traditions, Aboriginal people maintain their connection to their ancestral lands and waters. Further information is available from Aboriginal Affairs Victoria AAV and Native Title Services Victoria
This is a great park for trail bike riding and four wheel driving.Several recreation vehicle touring experiences are available to…
A group of granitic rocks with sweeping views across the park.
Suggested short walks1. Mortimer Nature Walk1.2km, 45 minutes return, easyA self-guided nature walk introducing the plants, animals and other features…
Fees do not apply to these campgrounds. No bookings are taken for campgrounds where fees do not apply. Camping is…
This is trail bike unloading area. There are toilets and fireplaces available.
- Gravel carpark
- Bunyip Public Land - Recreation Strategy (PDF 2.1 MB)
- Bunyip State Park - Button-grass Nature Walk (PDF 2.0 MB)
- Bunyip State Park - Campground map - Nash Creek (PDF 118.8 KB)
- Bunyip State Park - Four Wheel Driving and Trail Bikes - Map (PDF 3.1 MB)
- Bunyip State Park - Four wheel driving and trail bikes - Park note (PDF 2.7 MB)
- Bunyip State Park - Heritage Horse Trail (PDF 734.5 KB)
- Bunyip State Park - Heritage Horse Trail (accessible version) (MS Word Document 527.5 KB)
- Bunyip State Park - Map (PDF 2.4 MB)
- Bunyip State Park - Park note (PDF 3.5 MB)
- Bunyip State Park - Park note (accessible version) (MS Word Document 874.5 KB)
- Bunyip State Park four wheel driving and trail bikes (accessible version) (MS Word Document 842.6 KB)
- Bunyip State Park Management Plan (PDF 2.0 MB)